Wednesday, January 7, 2015

Good riddance American dream

I did not shed any tears when 2014 waved good goodbye. The past year, like most years, was a wild, messy, beautiful ride. Seeing as it was that I was incubating a child for most of the year, I gave myself permission to slacken my grip on "the bulls horns" a bit. Now I'm not saying that in hindsight I should have been out there riding dirt bikes, bungee jumping and stuffing my face with sushi while pregnant. No. just I wish I would have embraced my situation in life with all ten of my fingers rather than barley holding on with one pinky.

This was a time in my life that was super uncomfortable. By nature I am a busy body. I like to be out and about, living the good life, toddler and Petunia Pickle Bottoms diaper bag in tow. However, as soon as I hit the six week mark of my pregnancy, my body slammed on the breaks and told me to take it easy. Did I listen? Of course not. Instead I pushed against the call of nature. I stuffed myself in the car and dragged my tired body to the gym for workouts that were much to intense and flattened me on the back for the rest of the day. I insisted on driving the family all over the state for "Fun" family activities that left me drained and grumpy. And when I did allow myself to plop on the couch and devour and episode or two of Gilmore girls (and a bag of dove chocolates) like my body was craving to do, I was racked with never ending guilt.



The more I pushed myself physically, the more pessimistic I became until I was depressed. I would torture myself by watching the E channel and the slender celebrities that graced the screen with their coveted thigh gaps, as my belly got rounder and my weight crept up despite my hard core work outs. I wasn't living up to the delusional American dream of procreating all the while running to and from commitments while wearing six inch heels and looking like a super model. I was a failure.

Which came first, the chicken or the egg? Was I depressed because I was physically drained or because my brain said that's the way it's supposed to be when you're pregnant? Hard to say. I do know now that "stinkin' thinking" is a hard habit to break. Once the negativity snowball gathers up size and force, it can be a hard to stop. Even now at two months postpartum I am still struggling to get back on track.

How often in this day an age, are we granted a time to hibernate, recharge and focus on nourishing our bodies? When did pregnancy become a time of self loathing and regret? Sometimes it feels like there is some force in the world trying to take the most beautiful gift given to us as woman and warping it into some ugly thing. I cannot name another time in my life when I felt like I was more pummeled with confusion and doubt than with this pregnancy. It's almost impossible to accept and appreciate the miracle of a beautiful baby growing inside you when the Heidi Klum's of the world are out there walking down the runway at six weeks post-partum, nary a stretchmark to be seen, silently pressuring you to do the same.

This year I am going to strive to accept the ebbing tide of my life. I am allowing myself to listen to natures call and get down and dirty with whatever phase of life I am in rather than striving to look perpetually young and keep up with whatever everone says is hip and trendy. I accept that I am no longer 16 and my body is that of a mother now. Like my husband says, I'm like a fine wine. I get better with experience and age and I am ready to own that.


" My father says that almost the whole world is asleep. Everybody you know. Everybody you see. Everybody you talk to. He says that only a few people are awake and they live in a state of constant total amazement."
                                       -Joe Vs. the Volcano



My year was also filled with some beautiful and memorable things. Here is a recap of our year in no particular order.

2015- The year of H

Disneyland
 
Family Cabin
 
Rock climbing with play group
 
Spent lots of time at the park

Got in to mischif

Mommy and me yoga every Wednesday

The birth of Hudson




 

Gymnastics class

Park city with the family

Baby Animal Days

Hiking

Alpine slide

Swimming

Feeding (Chasing) ducks at first dam

Homecoming Day Parade

Positive pregnancy test

D in Curling League

Super sick while on vacation

Saint George reunion


Old Ephrams Grave

Los Angeles

Families that golf together stay together

Pre-Labor pampering

Carving pumpkins with family

Las Vegas

Lucky's accident

D's trains

Bear Lake

B.O.B runs

Park City

Demo Derby
Four wheel drive to Old Ephram's grave
Summerfest (D2 is watching the belly dancers)

Yoga session with Michael Franti

 
Four Paws Street Dance

 
Buddha Love 

Aquarium

 
Zoo
County Fair
Baby H first smiles
Pioneer Day water balloon toss
Changing oil together
Hiking with friends

Halloween

Other things worth noting:

Prenatal message class with Hubby
Saying goodbye to grandpa before he passed.
Grandpas funeral- Singing "When I've grown to old to dream" with Dad.
Re-connecting with my kindred spirit Uncle Mark.
Jump zone with D
Positive pregnancy test
D1 working in Wyoming
D1 hike with Dad
D1's work team #1 in region
D2's tricycle
Mator
Lego movie
Divergent series
Harry Potter
The graveyard book
Doctors appointments
Getting 24 hour stomach flu and getting spoiled by D2
2 Thanksgiving dinners in one day
Christmas at in laws and Mom and Dad's
River Golf trail, almost loosing tricycle to the river with phone inside
Pumpkin patch
Family reunion, bouncy house, catching fish
Peppa Pig
D2's ever improving vocabulary
D2 calling me pretty
Blanket monsters and blanket forts
Salt water tank
D2 curling league
Ultrasound- It's a boy!
Trivia night at the grill
Lots of birthday parties
Glenn Miller show
Birth class with Hubby
Babywearing meet-ups
Farmers market- pancakes with carmel syrup, reuniting with friends, cheap earrings
American West- corn maze, train, mom and dad
Due date passing
Water breaking and going in to labor
Re-doing hearing, PKU and bilirubin tests for H= traumatizing= he's just perfect
Making gingerbread trains with friends
Researching and  researching baby products
B.O.B duallie stroller
Tula carrier
Fourth of July=Kids and Sparklers are scary
Grandpa M patching stroller tires repeatedly
Mom helping out after H's birth
Park city with family, alpine slide, scavenger hunt, late night pool dip
The gateway
Playing at the parks in the Valley
D2's first bee sting- didn't even cry
Prenatal Yoga
Lots of tea
H's first smiles
H cooing
Snuggling both my boys as they sleep
Cruise in
Three easter egg hunts
City creek with friends
Annual Car show
Library
Testing out cloths diapers=not for me
Play group
Helping grandma with errands
Work at natural philosophy
Thomas the train
Gilmore girls
Bouncy houses in the mall
D2 walking a half mile by himself
Rattle snake on canyon trail
 


3 comments:

  1. This is profound:

    When did pregnancy become a time of self loathing and regret? Sometimes it feels like there is some force in the world trying to take the most beautiful gift given to us as woman and warping it into some ugly thing.

    You speak the truth, and kudos for pushing back.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love D's comment about you being like a fine wine.

    ReplyDelete